Thursday, February 7, 2008

I Need a New Mix Tape!

Who out there remembers either making or receiving a "mix" tape? They were AWESOME!! I'm probably aging myself...but who cares! :) I could listen to that tape any time and immediately picture the person who gave it to me or picture the event where that particular song played. All those feelings come rushing back!

(SIDE NOTE - I just received a "mix" CD from my awesome friend, Melissa, with her song picks from 2007. LOVE IT! I am definitely going to use her as a resource to widen my musical tastes!)

Okay, back on track...as I mentioned a few days ago, I am a new FLYbaby attempting to tackle my home with the use of the FLYlady system. My baby step for DAY 5 was to write down any nagging, negative voices I was hearing in my head about my situation and rewrite positive things to replace them. In an effort to be real, here is what I came up with:

~ This will NOT last! You will quit this...just like everything else you have tried before!
*** I have been consistent for 5 whole days! That is HUGE! Each day is a new opportunity to start fresh!

~ Are you serious? Your house is a complete WRECK! It will take YEARS to get through it all!
*** From FLYlady - I can do anything for 15 minutes! I say, "Small bites = Small victories!"

~ Your husband won't notice all the hard work you are putting into this! He doesn't care!
*** He may not notice, but my motives are pure! I am doing this for ME, my peace of mind and for the peace of my home! In the end, he and the kids end up winning anyway. ;)

I'm sure there are more in there mulling around, but these were my biggies. This exercise really helped me hash through some negative conversations I'd been having with myself. So let's relate this to other parts of our lives.

Years ago, Amanda introduced me to the concept of the "tapes" that run in our minds...usually full of negativity! Come on, sisters...you know what I'm talking about! She and I recently began talking about re-recording those negative words (which are usually TOTAL LIES) with TRUTH. It's interesting though...when I think about the tape that runs in my head, I am one of the "lucky" ones who get both a sound and picture account of my screw-ups. Some times these pictures and dialogues are just flashing images and nagging voices. Other times it is a total "High Def" / "Dolby Surround Sound" experience! The point is that no matter what it looks like, my tapes are false. Sure, I did the things I see, I said the things I hear, I heard what other people said either to me or about me, but they are still FALSE. I am no longer that person!

The personal journey I am on with God is to find out more about Him, to truly know Him and His character so that I can know more about who I really am. The only truth is God's truth, so I'm finding out what He thinks of me so I can re-record those negative tapes with TRUTH. You see, from the moment I asked God to come into my life and change me, from the moment I told Him, "I'm all in! Whatever you've got for me...I'm IN!" He no longer sees the old Kelly. He tells me I am a new creation in Him. Everything I see and hear in those tapes have been forgiven and forgotten about. I can start FRESH! I no longer have to live in fear, guilt, shame, or whatever else is plaguing me. It is a constant battle. I try to immediately send that voice or picture packin' when they rear their condescending head. Some days I get it right, other days I tend to wallow in the pit a bit too long. It's my choice: either I believe what He says about me or I don't. It's pretty easy when you break it down like that. Who better to trust and believe in than the One who made me in the first place?!?!

We all have the tapes! Let's start mixin' 'em up!!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Kelly, We are sooo very proud of you here at FlyLady.net and wanted you to know so that you can add that to your new mix.

We are very proud of you!!!

hugs to you for making a new tape to play!

FlyLady Paddi
Paddi@flylady.net

Anonymous said...

Love ya Friend!!

Unknown said...

WOW! SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO GOOD! Awesome word! You are such a preacher and I needed that word big time today. My worship pastor just gave me a iTunes gift card so I can start finding more music that I will be able to lead with when I lead worship for him. After reading this, I am excited about using it the gift card and making one heck of a mix cd!

I love you Kelly Ann and thank you for being that friend I can talk about the TRUTH with.

I am the most blessed friend to have you for a best friend!

Mel said...

WOW...that was an awesome entry.
I have to have people coming over for my motivation, but that's okay.
I'm working on putting postive in when I hear negative too.

Purple Teacup said...

PROUD OF YOU! The 15 minute mantra has changed my life.

Becca in Texas said...

That is something God has been convicting me about lately as well and so I have started trying to find specific Bible verses to combat those negative streams of thought. Then when I get that thought of my worthlessness I can combat it with God's word. Repeating a verse over and over helps me feel the devil falling down a little bit.