I agree, this is a strange way to begin my first post, but I just wanted to share this picture with you. Can you tell how clean and shiny it is?!?! It is awesome!
Okay, so this is what happened. About 2 years ago my best friend, Amanda, mentioned FLYlady to me. I checked out the cleaning/organizational site, but I was not ready to dive into what the regimen entailed.
Now fast forward to last Thursday. I was hanging out with my awesome friend, Melissa, and her cutie-pie girls talking about ways to decorate her youngest daughter's room. We settled in for sandwiches when I began to flood her kitchen with tears. I'm serious...the flood gates flew open! I confessed to her that I had been crying most of the morning before making it to her house. I felt completely out of control and overwhelmed with life and my house. I attempted to explain to her how the state of my home mirrored the current state of my brain...dirty, cluttered, etc. I felt so overwhelmed to the point of being paralyzed. I was unable to begin anything simply because I didn't even know where to start!!
Later that night, I was on the phone with my spunky friend, Shannon. She intently listened as the flood gates flew open again. She and I became fast friends at church and have been blowin' and goin' ever since! (I miss you!!) You see, Shannon and I have some personality traits in common...we are both perfectionists. Not just perfectionists, but the WORST kind: we are procrastinating perfectionists! Here is a tiny glimpse into how our minds work. We see a task ahead. We want to do it correctly and perfectly the first time. We make whatever task it is at least 100 times harder than it needs to be. We realize that the task cannot be accomplished to "our standards" so it doesn't get done...EVER! And so the cycle goes on and on and on until we are completely surrounded and overwhelmed. All that may sound a bit extreme and silly, but believe me...it's TRUE!! Anyway, Shannon mentioned FLYlady again and actually read parts of the website to me over the phone. I was finally ready!!
The next day I spent some time perusing the site and began to see a light at the end of my tunnel of clutter. It was awesome! I began reading through the list of Baby Steps and realized I COULD do this. Baby Step #1 is Go Shine Your Sink. It sounds ridiculous, but trust me...it works. It seemed silly to start here when the rest of my house was a complete disaster! Let me say this: I've been shining my sink for only 4 days and my outlook has completely changed. It is absolutely refreshing to begin each morning with a "clean slate" with no nasty residue from the day before.
If there is anyone out there that feels the same way I do, let me encourage you: YOU CAN DO IT!! Pretty soon these simple habits I am forming will pave the way to a cleaner home and a more peaceful me!
13 comments:
You, are adorable.
I've gotta go...must...clean...sink...
Oh MY GOSH! Girl, you have no idea! When I was reading that, I felt like it was me talking!! Just yesterday I broke down and got angry with Nate and told him...I.....NEEEEED HELLLP! I too am a procrastinating perfectionist!!! If I can't get everything perfect today...I'm not doing it.
I actually felt convicted about that and asked God to forgive me. Who am I, to think I have to be perfect at ANYTHING in order for me to do what God wants me to do.
WOW! We have got to get together!!!!
I get flooded with emails from flylady everyday and I too was not ready....maybe I am now!!
Love you girl! Have a great day!!! Shine that little sink away!!!
BTW-Monday anf Thursday nights are bad for us and T/Th days are bad
WOW. You really spoke to me today because you should see my house. The Flylady is good and the sink thing works! I need to get it done too!
I don't know if you know this about me or not but the whole crazy perfectionist thing, that's me too. I am dealing with it in two different areas right now and it is really causing me some issues with church stuff and home stuff. If I can't do it all the way, why participate? It's tough!!! The thing I am trying to do is figure out WHY I am the way I am. Why am I so screwed up?
I am so happy you are blogging! SO HAPPY! I love you and I miss and can't wait to see you in a few weeks!
I am also a perfectionist procrastinator, and it causes me SO much stress!!!! Maybe if I start with the sink it will encourage me to tackle other areas of my life that I keep pushing aside.
Welcome to blogging! (I popped over from Amanda's- she mentions you so often I was excited to see your blog, too... and God speaks to me in the shower, too. How funny!)
Came over from Mandi. Glad to have you in the blog world with the rest of us.
I think I have finally been able to give my messy house over to God. I have heard of flylady before but maybe I need to check it out. I think the hubby would appreciate some cleaning help for me.
So, Amanda sent some of us over! The sink looks absolutely amazing! I looked at Fly Lady once! How do you think it could work for ladies working outside the home? (you may work outside the home..I am not sure yet) I just think I remember that she emails you every so often through the day. Does she have another plan? Thanks for the fun post & welcome to the blogosphere!
just wanted to send you some love from austin. miss you.
just wanted to say welcome... hope you enjoy this blogging world.
I can so relate to the procrastinating perfectionist!
I started using the flylady system about 1 1/2 years ago when I started blogging. I use some of her methods, but have changed some to make it work for me and my family. I have made a lot of changes to my housekeeping and got rid of a lot of clutter. It really has made a difference in my marriage and our family. I wouldn't believe what a difference it can make if I wasn't living it for myself. I am now working on how to organize paper work. Just can't seem to find a system to work for me. And that is the area I keep putting off because I want it to be perfect and can't get it there.lol! I will find something that will work for me.
thanks for sharing your post it was encouraging and helps to know I'm not alone! :)
~Betty~
SO glad you're blogging now! It's so fun to get thoughts out onto "paper". Especially when you know people can read them; admit it, when we're kids writing in our diaries we secretly hope (and write as if) someday someone will find it and read it. Glad I get to keep up with you guys from 1400 miles away!!
Welcome to blogging! We love you already - having heard so much about you through Amanda!!
I hear you on the procrastinating perfectionism! I suffer with it too - there, I said it. And I managed to make it sound like a disease!! LOL!!
I hope that Flylady helps! And having a blog to post pics of your progress on will help too! Because at heart, most of us are all just a bunch of mommy-cheerleaders waiting to shake our pom-poms for you!!! Hooray for Kelly-Ann!!!!
I have the same mindset as you and your other friend. So it just sets. My only problem with FlyLady (I love FlyLady) is that even so I can't always contain myself and do the baby steps, I still want it all done now.
That is one good looking sink! My friend Phong (Kara) is a Flylady. She gave me the book... guess I'd better crack it again. You gave the most absolutely perfect description of how I think. I am in fact a procrastinating perfectionist and YES, I make every task 100 times harder than it needs to be... and then I just get scared away. Thanks for the encouragement... hope you are great. I'll keep up with your blog! Cara
Post a Comment