What stood out to me today:
Proverbs 2:1-11
1 My son, IF you accept my words and store up my commands within you,
2 turning your ear to wisdom and applying your heart to understanding,
3 and IF you call out for insight and cry aloud for understanding,
4 and IF you look for it as for silver and search for it as for hidden treasure,
5 THEN you will understand the fear of the LORD and find the knowledge of God.
6 For the LORD gives wisdom, and from his mouth come knowledge and understanding.
7 He holds victory in store for the upright, he is a shield to those whose walk is blameless,
8 for he guards the course of the just and protects the way of his faithful ones.
9 THEN you will understand what is right and just and fair—every good path.
10 For wisdom will enter your heart, and knowledge will be pleasant to your soul.
11 Discretion will protect you, and understanding will guard you. (emphasis mine)
What did I learn from these verses:
When I unpack these verses, I see one huge IF/THEN statement. "If" I do these things, "then" this will be the result. Sounds easy enough! Here is my problem: the majority of the time I want all the "thens" without doing any of the "ifs." I want all the benefits with little to no effort on my part. When things are hard, I usually don't begin the task at all, procrastinate like no body's business, or find a really good excuse to quit. I hate writing any of that, but it is true. The one and only area that does not apply to is my relationships. My family and my friends mean the world to me. I don't give up...ever...even to my detriment. I'm glad God put that trait in me. The journey I am on now is to use that trait in the other areas of my life. I need to be willing to do the hard work. I need help letting go of this false idea that everything has to be done perfectly or it is not worth doing. I just need Him.
God - Thank you for your Word today. Please give me the desire to search you out like hidden treasure. Please give me strength, wisdom and grace to do all that you want me to do. I love you!
1 comment:
Great Word and I love how Proverbs always has something for us! You can read it every single day and get something knew. I love that about God's word!!
And I love you!
Post a Comment