Sunday, September 19, 2010

The 40 Day Challenge

Exactly 4o days ago my husband challenged me, really us, to drink water as our only beverage for 40 days. This may not be a big deal to you, but to me it meant no more daily (sometimes hourly) doses of this...my FAVORITE DRINK:


or this


That's right friends! ONLY THIS:


In the days leading up to our conversation, I had begun to notice that I was depending more and more on the caffeine to get me through the day. I had also begun to notice that my memory was slowly getting a bit fuzzy. After some research, I found studies that link Diet Coke's key ingredient, Aspartame, to memory loss. So needless to say, by the time Alf threw down the gauntlet, I was totally up to the challenge!

Let me be completely honest and confess that those first few days were BAD! REALLY BAD! I was SO CRANKY! So much so that Alf gave me an instant out if I wanted it! HA! Nope! I knew it would pass in a few days...and it did.

There were definitely days when it would have been easier to grab that "quick fix". However, I was determined to actually finish something. No matter how insignificant only drinking water is in the grand scheme of things, this goal was a big deal to me. I don't think I've ever done anything outside of my roles of wife and mother for 40 days straight. It was time to push myself. I felt and feel great! We spent less money the few times we went out to eat. This may just be something that I continue with or without another challenge.

So today marks day 41. The challenge is over.

We sat down to eat lunch after church and my mouth began to "water" for that cold Dr. Pepper that I knew was in the "man fridge" outside. My family watched intently as I gingerly poured the sweet nectar into my glass. I took that initial sip and fully expected angels to sing! You know what...it didn't taste good! Not one bit! I was SO disappointed yet excited in a way. My body doesn't need it anymore. My body doesn't like it anymore. So as I sit here typing, with a HUGE HEADACHE, I think I may just go back to this:


No more of this:


or this

I need a nap. And an Alieve!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

First let me say WHAT THE HECK? WHY DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THIS???? WHO ARE YOU? AND WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH MY FRIEND?

I am so proud of you but I've given it up too. I now drink DIET DR PEPPER! K)

Unknown said...

and now I know WHY you turned me down on the diet coke offer when you were at my house! perish the thought!