Saturday, March 8, 2008

My fate has been decided...

Alf and I have been praying for over a year about what God would have us do concerning Trey's education. He continually asks if he can quit going to preschool. He is so excited about Kindergarten...he wants to start TODAY!!

We live in an area that has great schools, but we just didn't feel peace about putting him in that kind of learning scenario. So that left us with homeschooling and a charter school that I had found nearby.

I NEVER thought homeschooling would ever be on my radar. I had so many doubts about educating my child at home. Yes, I know my child the best but does that mean that I could offer him the best education. The Lord began to soften my heart in this area. Trey even mentioned his desire for me to be his teacher at home for Kindergarten. So, we prayed...

We visited the charter school last year and absolutely LOVED it. It is a public school that still has to adhere to the state education standards, but they can choose the manner in which they communicate the information. The comment that stuck in my head all year was, "Yes, we have to administer the TAKS, but we do not teach toward the TAKS." That was music to my ears! I truly felt that my son would receive a well-rounded education at this school. The classes are smaller. They do tons of learning outside in nature. They serve the community around them. The only catch is that after you apply for enrollment, they stick all the names in a "hat" and lottery for the open spots. So, we prayed...

After a year, we still didn't feel that we knew without a doubt what to do. So, we prayed...

Last weekend we visited the charter school again for Kindergarten Round-Up and turned in our enrollment packet. My prayer had become the following: "God, you know my son better than anyone else. You created him! You know what is best for him. You know what I am capable of even when I doubt myself. I don't feel a complete peace either way. But I am up for either option because you will help me. If his name is chosen in the enrollment lottery then I will take that as an open door for the charter school. If his name is not chosen, then I will take that as an open door to homeschool for Kindergarten. You are in total control! I trust you!"

What a cool journey this has been! The charter school called on Friday morning and they DREW HIS NAME!! We are very excited and so is Trey. Like I said earlier...he is ready to start TODAY...no more preschool.

I am stoked that God heard our prayers and answered them in His perfect timing. God controlled the hand of that administrator. My heart is at peace.

5 comments:

Mel said...

That is awesome news!

Anonymous said...

That's so cool!! I'm so happy for you guys.

Delilah said...

That is way exciting. I will pray that Trey can wait another six months for kindergarten to start!

Purple Teacup said...

Hallelujah!

Unknown said...

I'm kind of behind...sorry! I was so happy for you when I read this. We have spent so many hours agonizing over what it best for our kids, and it's so awesome when that peace finally comes!!